Monday, March 05, 2007

Day 11 - March 5 2007

Ezra 8:21-36

What do you think of Ezra’s call for a fast? In essence, he’s asking for God’s protection because he doesn’t want to ask the king for soldiers because he’s already said that “God is favorably disposed to all those who seek Him…” This is a powerful instance of Ezra living what he talks about. If I say God will protect me – then I’d better look to God to protect me. If I say God will provide for me – then I’d better look to God as my source of provision. If I say God can be trusted to provide for my future, then I ought to trust him, ordering my life (finances, sexuality, politic, and all the rest) according to His ways. One of the reasons that Ezra is so honored by God is because of the power he gives to words by living according to what he believes to be true.

We live in a time when words are actually quite cheap. “Let’s meet for coffee…” “Good to see you…” “I’ll pray for you…” “Fine thanks, how are you?” This is bad enough. But what’s even worse is when the words we use so cheaply end up misrepresenting God. When we say we love our enemies, and the poor, and the prisoners, and homeless, I wonder if our actions cheapen the words. When we say we love God and trust Him to protect us, I wonder if there are actions in our lives that end up cheapening these declarations.

Ezra refused military protection because he said “God will protect us.” And then he called for a fast.

Just rest and ponder the words of your life – especially those you use that speak of God’s character. Now consider whether your actions contradict or reinforce the words.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home